This online venipuncture course will help you develop all of the required knowledge and understanding to perform the skill within your clinical or care setting.
You will look at the key aspects of venipuncture, including legal and professional considerations, reasons for blood sampling and the procedure itself.
The venipuncture course is split into smaller sections, allowing your learning to be at a pace suitable for you.
Although there will be opportunities to practice on a model, you will have to undergo supervised practice in a clinical setting to be confirmed as competent. It will be your responsibility to ensure you have your competencies signed before practicing independently.
Module 1: Definition and Reasons for Blood Sampling
Within this section we will look at the definition of venipuncture and some of the reasons why we take blood samples. We will also look at some of the common blood tests that are taken regularly.
- Reasons for Blood Sampling
- Common Blood Tests
- Normal Blood Values - Biochemistry
- Normal Blood Values - Haematology
Module 2: Legal and Professional Considerations
Within this section, we will look at some of the main legal and professional issues that need to be considered before venipuncture takes place. These will include Competencies, Consent, Accurate record keeping and documentation.
- Accurate Record Keeping and Documentation
- WHO 5 Moments of Hand Hygiene
- How to Handrub With Alcohol-Based Formulations
- How to Wash Hands With Soap and Water
Module 3: Anatomy and Physiology
Within this section, we will review the anatomy and physiology associated with venipuncture, including the main areas for blood sampling within routine practice and which are limited to registered and non-registered nursing staff.
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Vein Choice
- Layers of the Vein
Module 4: Criteria for Vein Selection
- Vein Choice
- Methods of Improving Venous Access
Module 5: Device Selection
Within this section, you will learn about the various devices that can be used for blood sampling and some of their advantages and disadvantages.
- Device Selection
Module 6: Potential Problems for Venipuncture
Within this section you will look at the criteria for selecting a vein for blood sampling as well as identifying the areas that you would be avoiding if possible.
- Potential Problems
Module 7: Procedure for Blood Sampling
- Equipment Needed
- Order of Draw
Venipuncture Course Details
Type: Online Interactive User-Friendly Training With Downloadable Documentation
Accreditation: Nationally Recognised CPD Accredited Courses
Access: 24/7 Unlimited Accesses For 12 Months
Duration: 1 Hour (Counts Towards CPD Hours)
Evidence: Learning & Certification Remain On The System Indefinitely
Exam & Assessment
Certificate: A CPD Accredited Certificate is Instantly Available Upon Completion
Exam Type: Online Multiple Choice Assessment
Exam Included: Exam Is Included In The Price
Exam Retakes: Unlimited Retakes At No Extra Cost
Exam and Certification
The online venipuncture course comes complete with a multiple choice exam and a nationally recognised CPD Certificate.
What Are The Benefits of CPD
- Gain new skills
- Improve job prospects
- Enhance employment opportunities
- Improve career satisfaction
- Tracks prior learning
- Up-to-date with your job requirements
- Enhance your CV
- Help lead the way to further education
- Demonstrates commitment and value
- Preparation for promotion
Multiple Choice Assessment
- Once you have completed the learning you will participate in a multiple-choice assessment.
- A pass mark of 75% is required.
- The online test is marked automatically, receiving an instant grade.
- We offer an unlimited pass guarantee.
- Don’t worry if you don’t pass or want to improve your grade, with our unlimited pass guarantee can retake the test as many times as you wish to at no extra cost.
Nationally Recognised Certification
- All our courses are accredited by the CPD and are nationally recognised.
- Once you have completed your assessment you will be awarded a free accredited certificate in PDF format which is immediately available.
- The certificate will display the CPD logo as proof of your knowledge and competencies gained from taking this course.
- Hard copies of the certificate are available at an additional fee of £3.99. These are purchased once the course is completed online.
- All evidence of learning and certification will remain on our system to peruse for your future reference.
Additionally, once you’ve completed this venipuncture course, you may be interested in deepening your skills and knowledge with one of our other Clinical Skills Training
All our clinical online workshops are accredited and in line with the universally accepted Continuous Professional Development standards. The CPD standards require a robust process of content development, peer review and compliance with the relevant regulatory requirements.
Our statutory, mandatory and specialist health and social care training courses are delivered in line with the relevant UK legislation and recommended practice including:
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Alignment to the Skills for Health’s Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF)
- Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE)
- The Resuscitation Council (UK)
- Qualifications and Credits Framework (QCF)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) revalidation for registered nurses and midwives
The Venipuncture Course Is Most Suitable For...
NHS and independent healthcare providers, bank staff and agency workers, and educational organisations including:
- Individuals who want to gain an awareness and increase knowledge
- Care Assistants (HCA)
- Support Workers
- Adult Social Care Workers
- Residential Home Staff
- Nursing Home Staff
- Nurses including Practice, Adult, Registered & Clinical
- Domiciliary Care Workers
- Home Care Workers
- Clinical Support Workers
- Community Healthcare Workers
- Bank and Temporary Nurses
- Bank and Temporary Carers